University laboratory safety inspections are a task normally managed by the EHS department. University Laboratories are subject to inspection by local, state and federal regulatory agencies, including, but not limited to, the state Department of Environmental Protection, the US Environmental Protection Agency, the US Occupational Safety and Health Administration and local fire officials.
Universities are committed to providing a safe and healthful environment for its employees, students and visitors and managing the Universities in an environmentally sensitive and responsible manner. Universities recognize an obligation to demonstrate safety and environmental leadership by maintaining the highest standards and encouraging faculty, students, and staff to serve as an example to each other as well as the community at large.
Universities strive to continuously improve their safety and environmental performance and will have developed policies covering the following policy objectives:
- developing and improving programs and procedures to assure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
- ensuring that faculty, students, and staff are properly trained and provided with appropriate safety and emergency equipment
- implement a systematic program for laboratory safety inspections
- taking appropriate action to correct hazards or conditions that endanger health, safety, or the environment
- considering safety and environmental factors in all operating decisions including planning and acquisition
- engaging in sound reuse and recycling practices and exploring feasible opportunities to minimize the amount and toxicity of waste generated
- using energy efficiently throughout our operations
- encouraging personal accountability and emphasizing compliance with standards and conformance with University policies and best practices safety training for faculty, students, and staff and in employee performance reviews
- communicating our desire to continuously improve our performance and fostering the expectation that every employee, student, contractor, and visitor on University premises will follow this policy and report any environmental, health, or safety concern or incident to management
- monitoring our progress through periodic evaluations
- implementing new technology such as a fire extinguisher inspection system or life safety inspection system to aid compliance with regulations
The goal of the University Laboratory Safety Inspections Program is to minimize the risk of injury or illness to laboratory workers by ensuring that they have the training, information, support and equipment needed to work safely in the laboratory.
The Laboratory Safety staff provides guidance and oversight to research staff in the following areas; use, storage, and disposal of hazardous materials; the development of specific laboratory safety programs; waste minimization; fume hood evaluations; safety newsletters; and assists with plan reviews related to laboratory renovations.
IMEC Technologies provides Safety Management Software to increase worker safety and aid compliance. IMEC’s Safety Management Software will manage inspections and audits, provides hazard identification, incident reporting, management of corrective and preventative actions from generation to closure and Manage Lockout Tagout Procedures, their Review and Execution using the Mobile App. The Mobile Inspection App allow users to perform inspections and audits, for example the system can be used as a Fire Extinguisher Barcode Inspection Software system to manage monthly fire extinguisher inspections and general fire safety inspections and also to record safety observations and manage corrective actions, anywhere and anytime. The solution can be used as a fire extinguisher barcode inspection software system or life safety inspection system to aid compliance in Higher Education, Healthcare, Industrial and Commercial Organizations. The Incident Reporting App allows users to easily and quickly report incidents, hazards and near-misses, these are then sent to the appropriate people for action and are managed to closure. Web Apps provide features such as, setup, management, scheduling tools, analysis, reporting and dashboards etc with the ability to report incidents to government bodies such as OSHA and RIDDOR. HazMat T&T is a hazardous waste management software solution designed for Environmental Service Companies and companies who generate a large quantity of hazardous waste. The solution tracks hazardous waste from cradle to grave aiding compliance, providing accurate waste inventory, increasing waste handling efficiency, reducing risk and also helps manage waste costs. For more information visit our website www.imectechnologies.com